The History of the
European CW Association
Revision date 2019.05.11
The Chairmen of EuCW
- SMØIX Sven Milander c/o SCAG 1980
- DL7DO Ralf Herzer c/o AGCW 1981
- G8PG Gus Taylor c/o G-QRP 1982
- PAØDIN Din Hoogma c/o VHSC 1983
- SM5TK Kurt Franzén c/o SCAG 1984
- DL6MK Edgar Schnell (sk) c/o HSC 1985-1987
- G4FAI Tony Smith c/o G-QRP 1988-1990
- ON5ME Oscar Verbanck (sk) c/o SHSC/EHSC (*)
- LZ1PJ Ivan (Johny) Ivanov c/o LZCWC 2007-2013
- G5VZ Chris Pearson c/o FISTS 2013-2016
- I5SKK Alessandro Santucci c/o INORC 2016/9 to 2019/9
- IZ2FME Michele Carlone c/o INORC 2019/9 to 2022/9
of EuCW (dates when new clubs joined)
- EuCW founder clubs: SCAG (SM/OZ), AGCW (DL), GQRP (G).
- until 1981
- TOPS (G), SARS (Scarborough ARS)(G), HSC (DL), CWC (HB9), VHSC
- BQRPC (PA/ON/LX), INORC (I).
- HCC (1983.09.01)(EA).
- BTC (1986.02.15)(ON), UFT (1986.09.01)(F), SHSC (1986.12.01)(ON).
- FISTS (1988.06.01)(G), U-QRQ-C (1988.12.03)(R).
- FOC (1989.09.01)(G).
- EHSC (ON).
- HACWG (HA), U-CW-C (R/UR).
- OK-QRP (OK), CTCW (CT).
- HTC (HB9).
- 3A-CW-G (3A), MCWG (Z3), OHTC (OH), EA-QRP-C (EA),
- SPCWC (SP).
- 9A-CWG (9A), I-QRP-C (I).
- OE-CW-G (OE).
- ITC (I), YL-CW-G (DL), RTC (DL).
- GTC (SV).
- CFT (ON).
- EACW (EA).
- CTC (9A).
- LZCWC (2004.08.20)(LZ), RU-QRP (2004.12.22)(R).
- IS-QRP (2005.09.21)(IS0).
- Marconisti (2010.04.01)(I), Essex CW Club (G).
- GPCW (2018.01.01)(CT).
Other Events in EuCW
- SCAG took the first initiative. Statutes were proposed on 1978.06.27
(These statutes are re-printed in SCAG-NL #50 from April 1978). According
to these statutes only clubs with at least 100 individual members could be
members. The leadership of EuCW should rotate on a yearly base.
- EuCW founded officially.
- CWC (HB9) deleted on 1986.02.15. SCAG leadership proposes withdrawal
of SCAG from EuCW (1986.03.01), to be decided by the annual assembly.
1986.05.31: SCAG Assembly in Copenhagen postpones decision about EuCW
withdrawal. DL6MK encounters difficulties to find a new EuCW president.
TOPS, SARS, HCC, INORC could not take over presidency. UFT proposes a EuCW
- DJ2XP takes over the Fraternizing Party. The FP date changes from June
to late November. 1987.04.25: SCAG assembly in Täby gives up plans for
withdrawal from EuCW.
- Novice award of GQRP gets the status of an official EuCW activity.
EuCW Net (80 m QTC net) operative since September.
- TOPS withdraws from membership because of a lack of activity
(1990.07.01), the option to re-join remains open. Fraternal links to
non-European clubs established: QRP-ARCI (W/K) and GPCW (PY). The SCAG
Straight Key Day on New Year's Day becomes an official EuCW activity.
- Worked EuCW Award created (1991.04.27) to commemorate the 200th
anniversary of the birth of Samuel F.B. Morse. HCC (Spain) generously met
the cost of printing the certificates (in the UK), which were designed by
G4FAI. First award winner: DK9EA (1991.09.30). Generous donations received
from other clubs were reserved for use on future EuCW special projects.
CWAS (PY) associates as another overseas guest. It takes over the tasks of
- Membership rules were modified in order to open EuCW for small clubs.
The decision was taken by mail vote. 18 clubs were invited to vote, 13
were in favor of the change, 1 disagreed, 1 agreed conditionally, 3 clubs
did not respond.
- SLDXC (Saar-Lorraine DX club) applied for membership but was vetoed
down for being rather a DX club than a CW club. Well-defined membership
application policy established, all non-CW clubs and all non-European
clubs will be excluded from the application procedures. QRP clubs will
remain an exception because QRP is inherently linked to CW. The
Fraternizing Party gets an extra sponsorship from EA3DOS who donates
miniature ("Lilliput") keys to winners.
- New statutes were adopted. Changes include: Clubs with at least 100
individual members will have FULL (i.e. voting) membership. Clubs with 5
to 99 members will have RESTRICTED (i.e. non-voting) membership. The term
of office of chairmen is 3 years.
- Membership application from CFT (Belgium) published in EuCW Bulletin
2000/2. Likewise the GACW from Argentina offered co-operation with EuCW.
Proposal for a new constitution.
- FISTS creates a new QRS Week and dedicates it to EuCW. First QRS Week
held in April 2001. UFT dedicates a 160m contest to EuCW.
- Professional Radio Operators CW Club International from Romania
applied membership but was vetoed down.
- DJ2XP retired from his post as EuCW AWARD and Fraternizing Party
manager. These jobs are taken over by DK7VW. Unfortunately, the results of
the 2005 Frat Party got lost in the takeover procedure. LZ1PJ accepted to
be the president of EuCW from 2007 on.
- ON5ME passed away in January. He was an extraordinary sponsor in
general and EuCW in particular. His donations covered the running costs of
the presidency at 100% during his term of office.
Ivan Ivanov, LZ1PJ, took over as chairman, it was his merit to introduce
electronic media into the regular operation of the club.
- The Essex CW ARC was presented as a new candidate for EuCW membership.
The membership was confirmed eventually.
- The clubs OHCW, BTC, GACW, and HCC were declared dormant. The term
2013-2016 of the chairman was offered to BQC. BQC chose not to fill the
office as Chairman. Elections for a new chairman are being held in summer.
G3VTT (ECM FOC) volunteered as election officer for the 2013 elections.
During the month of July potential candidates were invited to present
themselves for the election. Two candidates were found.
During the month of August the elections were held. The winner was G5VZ
who took office in September.
After a consultation period the traditional contest EUCW Fraternising Party was discontinued. EUCW thanked
DK7VW for the good work done as Manager from 2006 to its final edition in
2013. The consultation showed a declining interest of EuCW club officials
in a contest. In fact many realized that a classical contest is hardly
useful to foster friendship. Moreover, there is no lack of contests on the
HF bands and one more ore less won't make too much of a difference. The
chairman got the task to order the different alternative proposals and
come up with an on-air activity far beyond contesting.
- The long-term activity "Snakes And Ladders" was presented for the time
period April 2014 through March 2015. The basic idea is to foster normal
CW QSOs on the CW bands preferably on the upper parts of the CW bands far
away from contests and from pile-ups and DX operation. A minimum duration
of the QSO was set to 5 minutes in order to promote a culture of
As an additional incentive a game of luck is presented based on the QSOs
of a calendar month. DM4RW could be won as manager of this activity.
Though participation itself is as easy as providing an ADIF QSO list the
rules of the game of luck is a bit more sophisticated and harder to read
than a usual description of award or contest rules. A group of
enthusiastic ECMs provided the rules in at least TEN EUROPEAN LANGUAGES.
Never before in history of EUCW there was a project with so many ECMs
involved. Special thanks go to the main authors of the language versions
as listed in here.
The company Begali promised to sponsor two free keyers that will be
donated to two selected participants after the first of S+L.
S+L produced about 1000 QSOs per month which is a good start.
Updates for the version after March 2015 were decided. The appearance of
snakes was randomized, the role of the preferred frequencies was
- Snakes and ladders version 2 was organized from March to December.
- Snakes and Ladders was upgraded to its third version. Friendship
between operators is now in the foreground. Even repetitive QSOs with the
same station contribute to the individual results.
Sadly the German club RTC became inactive and its web page and domain were
erased in April. Likewise the German YLCWG was declared dormant since
On 1-SEP-2016 the new EUCW Chairman took office. This new three year term
is under the responsibility of INORC. INORC supports EUCW with Alessandro,
I5SKK as EUCW Chairman, and Italo, I0YQX, as ECM of INORC.
- Snakes and Ladders remained stable and created typically 1000 QSOs per
month. The center of activity is in the United Kingdom.
- Snakes and Ladders remained stable and well. CTCW and 3A-CWG retracted
their membership, EACW was declared dormant since there were no news for
years. CTCW was replaced by GPCW. First measures were taken to prepare the
succession of the chairman I5SKK. According to the rotary principle UFT
had the right of succession. UFT declined early and the chairman launched
a call for candidates for chairmanship.
- LZCWC was declared dormant in Jan 2019. No contact to the club
could be established by the chairman.
Two candidates volunteered for the chairmanship of the term Sept. 2019
through Aug. 2022. The candidates and their host clubs were ON4LDL c/o CFT
(Belgium) and IZ2FME c/o INORC (Italy). Elections were held among the
clubs with more than 100 active members.
The election winner and new chairman elect is IZ2FME.
This list is based on archives of AGCW-Info, SCAG-NL, and EuCW
Bulletins. Several friends helped (see acknowledgments below). Yet, this
list is incomplete and may contain errors. Please send corrections or
additional infos to:...eucw (at) agcw.de... Thanks in advance.
Acknowledgments to contributors:
Corrections and updates came from: PAØDIN, ON5ME, DK5KE, G4FAI